Random Thoughts from Malaysia

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Incredible India











When I was told that I would be going to Delhi....I was truly excited. I've always wondered what this part of India was like...how different it would be from Chennai and Kochi which I visited recently. It's incredible....the sights, the smells, the people....WOW!!!

I am very fortunate that the company now has an account with The Imperial Hotel. Think Raffles Hotel and E & O....yeah pure luxury and sophistication. There's a lovely smell when you walk into the lobby and service...impeccable.

I had meetings on Friday so I didn't really see much of the city although I did pass the Secretariat buildings which were awesome and I told myself I must go back to see it. Nothing like i'd seen before. Had meetings in the South of Delhi at The Oberoi...another luxurious hotel.

Whilst you see beggars at the traffic lights...you also see luxury brand stores at the hotel and I wonder about the juxtaposition of it all. Strange.....but I suppose in this great big country...it's in the scheme of things

But...let's not wallow in such things. Except be thankful we are where we are ...living in comfortable homes with loving families and friends.

On Sat morning,....bright and early at 4am, my driver Gopal came to pick me to head to Agra. I was going to see the Taj Mahal, one of the wonders of the world. Nothing can prepare you for your first glimpse of it. It's awesome and such a gorgeous structure. Even the sea of people won't put you off. I was armed with my camera to take as many photos at as many angles possible. It was tough with the crowd but still I think I pulled it off.

I told my sis that even after seeing the palaces and castles in Europe...this place...was just simply mind blowing. It truly is....

Following that, we went to the Agra Fort. Another awesome place from which you can view the Taj Mahal. This place is also steeped in so much ancient history....the place reminded me of scenes from Jewel in the Crown and the Far Pavillions (I believe that was more Lucknow...) and such movies/mini series with an Indian/Colonial theme.

Anyways...here I go rambling...it's almost you can feel and hear the scenes from the past...of royals who lived there, men and women walking around ages ago, of royal parties and coronations.....

As it is summer out here, I was positively exhausted so I returned to the hotel and had a nap ...woke up in time for the start of the game. Went out to the bar of the hotel...and watched the first half before returning to my room. No friendly faces....then started working on a presentation whilst catching the 2nd half in my room.

Sunday...woke up bright and early and decided to head down for breakfast at about 7am,....was done and thought about seeing the interesting sights around the city of Delhi. Hired a cab for 4 hours....nice and polite Punjabi driver.

First stop, India Gate....looks pretty much like the the Arc-de-Triomphe of Paris. A war memorial where over 70,000 names of soldiers has been engraved. It was only 8am but the sun was up and high. Following that, I went to the President's official residence, the Secretariat Buildings, the Red Fort through the streets of Old Delhi and finally Qutb Minar within the ruins of Lal Kot.

I didn't realise there were ancient ruins in this city so it was a pleasant surprise....think Roman ruins..these are Asian ruins. WOW.....also very awesome. As usual I am putting together my Imagestation album...will wait till the end of this trip to upload all the photos.
Anyways, I hope to come back to this vibrant city again. Still places that I have yet to explore.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home