Random Thoughts from Malaysia

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Weekend away in Kiasuland



I may have left Singapore two and a half years ago and not really thought about the things I missed but a weekend trip recently brought it all back.

First and most importantly, my friends that I left behind. I had different group of friends that I met through various ways....work, friends of friends, the internet ( yes yes...it's safe really) etc etc. I had the opportunity to meet a bunch of them for beer and wing on Saturday night at one of my favourite haunts in Singapore....Ice Cold @ Emerald Hill. Here's a photo of the gals.....after a few pints. Additionally, I met an old friend that I hadn't seen in 8 years. He's recently moved to Singapore and I took the opportunity to get him out so we could meet up. What a flood of memories came to me as soon as he arrived.....bizarre but true, my friends mean the world to me. :) Love ya to bits.

On this trip, I also spent quality time with an old college friend who's recently moved to Singapore with her family. It was so much fun giggling like school girls, whilst playing with the kids and talking about adult stuff too :)

The second thing that I miss.....convenience of moving around. Since moving to Penang, I've had to purchase a car..Not a bad thing but over 5 years in Singapore, I didn't need a car. There was always the MRT, the bus or after hours the cabs. Very convenient and accessible. It made it so easy to visit friends in the East Coast or far out in Jurong....all an MRT ride away. I truly enjoyed taking the MRT around town and the cabs too. It's lovely to be able to speak in English and be understood....although sometimes knowledge of the neighbourhood to be visited can make the cab ride easy on the passenger:)

Finally some of the food joints and drinking holes in Singapore that remain close to my heart like Ice Cold, Harry's, Indochine by the Waterfront, Seah Street Deli, Bobby Rubino's, and a trip back to Singapore would not be complete without a stop at Samy's Curry House for banana leaf meal.. YUMMMMMMM. This time around, I introduced it to Michelle and her family. Although I was wrecked after a late nite out, it was good to have a nice warm meal at this good family makan joint!

The clubbing scene in Singapore has since flourished and I managed to take in some time at Forbidden City with the ice bar and also Attica. Very good music....and lots of space to dance around:)

For the first time in a long time, I was truly sad about leaving Singapore and boarding that jet plane back to the island of Penang. I hope to see some of my friends again soon...being apart is never good for the soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home