Random Thoughts from Malaysia

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Micro management

Now ....this is something that I can't bear! What's the definition? My favourite site Wikipedia defines it as " micromanagement is a management style where a manager closely observes or controls the work of their employees. In contrast to giving general instructions on smaller task while supervising larger concerns, the micromanager monitors and assesses every step.

OH my goodnesss...I am going through that and have been going through it over the last 6 months...First on a project that involved an event in Vietnam whilst working from Penang and them most recently on an event that I had to organize and manage in Kulim.

I almost tore my hair out at every event management meeting...which lasted at least an hour and 30 mins where each point was drilled down to the infinitesimal detail. Details are vital but not at every meeting and not taking time when folks can spend time making decisions on other bigger and vital matters.

It seems that " Micromanagment may arise from internal sources, such as concern for details, increased performance pressure, or insecurity." I wonder which is the cause that my team and I are paying for!! I am rooting for insecurity but it's driving me crazy...........

Here I go rambling on again....:(

4 Comments:

  • Hear ye! Hear ye!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:02 pm  

  • Am sure you can do better than that!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:05 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:07 pm  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:15 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home