Random Thoughts from Malaysia

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Dragon Boat Races in Penang

Since moving to Penang I pride myself with attending this event every year (my third race this year). Initially as a tourist but generally because I enjoy being out in the sun, cheering on friends participating in the races.

As much as Tourism Penang and the organizers seek to publisize the event, I fear it's never enough. There isn't much of a crowd there towards the end of the day when the final races are taking place. That is the time where the rowers need all the support of fans and friends but alas there are only a couple of hundred folks around to cheer them on.

Granted that it was a hot day this year but there is ample shade around and folks can bring out their umbrellas and sun glasses, if need be. It just seems sad that not many Malaysians or tourists come to watch this annual event.

I wonder if Tourism Penang/Malaysia should start taking advertisements in magazines on the airlines at least 3 months before the event and even put out billboards in each state capital in Malaysia....first to raise awareness and garner interest in Malaysians to come watch this all exciting event. Another thing would be to hold the event during the school holidays so more folks outside Penang can come by to watch.

Radio time with participants/organizers will also help create a buzz....but then we don't have many talk shows on radio.....another issue that I hold close to my heart which I shall keep to another time.

Anyways, I do hope that Tourism Penang/Malaysia will work harder next year as it will be Visit Malaysia Year 2007 and the Penang International Dragon Boat Race should be part of their calendar with sufficient publicity.

1 Comments:

  • Jacq, it's about time we both jump into the freakin' boat and start rowing! Literally, and figuratively!

    By Blogger [rena], At 11:25 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home